Training & Courses
We run a regular programme of short and longer courses. We also work with partners to run international training workshops and advanced courses such as Microelectrode Techniques for Cell Physiology; and Practical Course in Advanced Optical Microscopy. The MBA also runs a Marine Biology Mres course in partnership with Plymouth University. along with other postgraduate training opportunities.
The MBA delivers a range of bespoke training courses, including: communication skills; species identification; laboratory and field techniques; health and safety; animal husbandry; marine management; and much more. These can be run in our own well equiped training facilities or at alternative locations to suit you requirements.
Please contact the team if you would like to discuss your needs.
We run a series of short courses for marine biologists and anyone with an interest in the marine environment.
Course topics include:
- Introductory species identification courses
- Introduction to survey skills
- Practical skills for marine scientists
- Scientific Illustration
Our training programme is under constant review and we welcome suggestions for future course topics. Please contact us if you have a specific requirement or query. Remember, we can also develop bespoke training courses to suit your specific needs.
Forthcoming courses can be found and booked via the Eventbrite calendar on this page.
The MBA also runs a Marine Biology MRes (Masters of Research) course in association with Plymouth University.
With partners, the MBA runs and hosts a number of advanced training courses and workshops. These workshops take advantage of the world-class facilities and expertise at Citadel Hill. Follow the links below to find out more.
- Microelectrode, Patch Clamp and Optical Techniques for Cell Physiology
- Practical Course in Advanced Optical Microscopy
- British Phycological Society Collecting & Identifying Seaweeds
- PRIMER-E Multivariate statistics training for ecologists
- NMBAQC Zooplankton Ring Test
- Collecting and Identifying Seaweeds
Bespoke Training Delivered by the MBA
We have experience delivering training solutions for a range of people, including: consultancy staff; goverment agency staff; academics; teachers; beach rangers; visitor centre teams; Sea Search divers; universities, schools and colleges; volunteer groups; and aquarium staff.
Subjects have included:
- Species identification - often focused on specific taxonomic groups or habitat
- Non-native marine species
- Running shore-based educational activities
- Bringing the sea into the classroom
- Marine habitat and species conservation and management
- Laboratory and field techniques
- Animal husbandry
- Boat-based survey work
- Laboratory health and safety
Training is delivered by specialists from the MBA and a network of expert freelance training providers. Sessions can be adapted to suit varying needs and expertise and can be delivered at our facilities in Plymouth or at your own venue. We also offer opportunities to purchase multiple places on our existing courses at a discounted rate.
To discuss your specific training needs and find out more about contact us
The MBA runs a MRes in Marine Biology in association with the University of Plymouth. The course provides an an excellent opportunity to gain hands-on experience with research groups performing world-class marine science at the MBA and university.
Many of our MRes students go on to study PhDs and follow wider careers in marine biology.
The course is coordinated by MBA Research Fellow Dr Michael Cunliffe.