Job role: Head of Membership
Hours: Full time (37 hours per week)
Contract type: Open ended
Job purpose: To lead on and implement the MBAs Strategy to grow and develop its membership offer
The Marine Biological Association (www.mba.ac.uk) is one of the world’s longest running marine learned societies (founded in 1884). The MBA was awarded a Royal Charter to recognize the role of the MBA as the representative body for marine biology and we currently have over 1,900 members in 40+ countries worldwide. The MBA also maintains its own world-class research laboratory at Citadel Hill in Plymouth, UK, which also functions as the headquarters of the Association.
An exciting opportunity has arisen for a committed and motivated individual to deliver the MBA’s ambitious new Membership Strategy and implementation plan. The MBA has recently increased its investment in the Membership area to support Membership growth and the enhancement of the Membership experience. This role represents an exciting opportunity to manage operational delivery as well as bring visionary and strategic thinking on how to enhance growth and development within the Membership area.
The post-holder will be central to the implementation and ongoing use of a new CRM system and associated payment software, and will manage a small, dedicated team of Membership staff. The new Strategy aims to deliver services that members and prospective members will value and promote and help deliver growth with a focus on the professional marine biological categories but with additional categories also targeted via a segmented benefits package.
The post-holder will work and liaise with a range of other staff to ensure integration with activities such as communication, events and training, policy, publications and data and information services among others.
Applicants for the post will have experience of management / leadership within a membership organisation. Experience of working in marine or science related organisation would be beneficial but not essential.
The post is based at the Citadel Hill Laboratory in Plymouth, UK but requests for flexible working arrangements including some homeworking will be considered.
Salary and benefits
- The MBA will contribute 10% of your basic salary into a defined benefits pension scheme. You are required to make a 3% minimum contribution. You can contribute over the 3% minimum and the MBA will match up to a maximum of 5%
- Annual Leave allowance is 30 days plus bank holidays/privilege days (pro-rata if part time)
- Working for a dynamic and internationally renowned organisation
- 5 days per week
- The post carries a 6-month probationary period
- Potential for some flexible working / home working
Key Responsibilities include:
- Experience with membership organisations to deliver strategies for growth and membership engagement
- Experience in working with and utilising CRM systems to grow and manage membership
- Lead / manage team(s) to provide operational and some strategic direction.
- Manage an area of responsibility including working with budgets and creating and contributing to the construction of a business plan.
- Experience of change management
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with external engagement and ability to work with stakeholders and customers
- Knowledge of / experience with Professional and Learned Societies
- Manage implementation against a plan and monitor and evaluate professional/knowledge services-related activity.
- Knowledge of marine biology / science as a discipline
- Knowledge of education and career pathways for marine biologists / scientists
For further information, please contact Dr Matthew Frost (MBA Deputy Director): firstname.lastname@example.org
Full details including job description can be found here https://www.mba.ac.uk/vacancies
- We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships
How to Apply:
To apply please send a covering letter and CV with details of 2 referees to email@example.com, (Reference Head of Membership application) one of which must be your current employer.
The covering letter should:
- outline your previous and most relevant experience
- explain why you are right for the role
- Confirm you are available during interview week
Please confirm where you saw this vacancy advertised
Closing date: 28 June 2021
Interviews will take place virtually the week of 5 July 2021
Applications from job seekers who require Tier 2 Skilled Worker sponsorship are welcome and will be considered alongside other applications.