Job role: Data Officer
Hours: Full Time (37 hours per week)
Contract type: Open Ended
Salary: £17,046 to £18,709 depending on experience
Job purpose: Support the data management activities of the MBA
The Marine Biological Association (www.mba.ac.uk) is an independent research institute carrying out leading-edge research in fundamental and strategic areas of marine biology. As one of the world’s longest running Learned Societies (founded in 1884), the MBA is dedicated to promoting research into our oceans and the life that they support. Many eminent scientists, including twelve Nobel Prize winners, have conducted their research at the MBA’s Citadel Hill laboratory. With our Royal Charter and over 1,900 members in 40+ countries worldwide, we have the mandate to provide an authoritative and independent voice for the international marine biological community.
A new opportunity has arisen for an enthusiastic Data Officer to join the internationally renowned MBA Data Team to support the operation of DASSH, the national archive for marine biodiversity data and the UK Node of the Ocean Biodiversity Information System (OBIS-UK). The successful candidate will assist in the acquisition, archiving and dissemination of marine biological datasets and associated metadata.
Specifically the role will help with the access, sharing, description, quality assurance and publication of key national and regional datasets to support planning and conservation at the local, national and European scale.
Salary and benefits
- Salary will be based on experience
- The MBA will contribute 10% of your basic salary into a defined benefits pension scheme. You are required to make a 3% minimum contribution. You can contribute over the 3% minimum and the MBA will match up to a maximum of 5%
- Annual Leave allowance is 30 days plus bank holidays/privilege days (pro-rata if part time)
Key Responsibilities include:
- Organise incoming data in the data archive
- Assist with metadata queries
- Assist with Quality Assurance of data and metadata
- Contribute to creation of tenders and reporting
- Assist with Data Team contracts
- Input to Data Team social media activity
- Contribute to overall MBA data and information management, including liaison with research staff
- Undertake adhoc tasks identified as being within the job holders capabilities
Essential skills/qualifications – Use of database and spreadsheet applications, high attention to detail, ability to work independently.
Desirable skills/qualifications – experience of large datasets, familiarity with archiving and data management concepts and processes, understanding of UK marine data infrastructure
The Data Officer will be based at the Marine Biological Association of the UK in Plymouth, but will be expected to travel to meetings and workshops as needed.
For further information, please contact Dan Lear (email@example.com)
Full details including job description can be found here https://www.mba.ac.uk/vacancies
- We are committed to equality of opportunity for all staff and applications from individuals are encouraged regardless of age, disability, sex, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief and marriage and civil partnerships
How to Apply:
To apply please send a covering letter (Reference Data Officer Application) and CV with details of 2 referees to firstname.lastname@example.org, one of which must be your current employer or college/university tutor.
The covering letter should:
- outline your previous and most relevant experience
- explain why you are right for the role
Please confirm where you saw the vacancy advertised
Closing date: 9 July 2021
Interviews will take place the week of: 26 July 2021
Applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK