The Data Team of the MBA are looking for enthusiastic individuals to volunteer in DASSH - the UK Node of OBIS and the leading marine biodiversity Data Archive Centre (DAC) in the UK.
Based at the iconic MBA laboratory on Plymouth Hoe, you will help in various tasks such as digitising species data from paper records into excel MEDIN guideline format, creating metadata and populating the Data Management System. In return we will offer training in excel, data standards, and databases; you will gain great skills and experience suited for a career in a science discipline, whilst gaining experience working in a world-class institute and a magnificent sea view from your office!
Purpose of the role
The purpose of the role is to help with the digitization of historic datasets and gain experience working with the DASSH data team.
What we are looking for:
- High attention to detail
- Good IT skills
- Experience using Microsoft Excel and Access
- Background and interest in marine biology
- Knowledge of marine species and habitats
- Marine Recorder
Benefits of volunteering with us!
Volunteers can develop the following skills and qualities:
- Data management knowledge and skills
- Opportunity to learn GIS skills
- Experience of social media
- Experience using data standards
Other benefits include
- Opportunities to make connections and build professional networks
- Training in necessary tools and software
- Regular two-way feedback on progress
- Access to the National Marine Biological Library
- Access to talks and seminars
- Opportunities to participate in MBA social events
If interested please contact Esther Hughes - firstname.lastname@example.org
This vacancy will remain open until a suitable candidate is found