MBA Membership is great value. As well as supporting our work and being part of a global community you also get the following benefits:
The Marine Biologist is the world’s leading magazine dedicated to the discipline of marine biology. MBA members will enjoy free subscription to this beautiful quarterly publication, bringing readers the latest in research, communication and education, with contributions from leading names in the field. You’ll also be kept up to date with what we’re up to through the MBA Annual Report.
The National Marine Biological Library (NMBL) is one of the largest marine reference libraries in the world. Holding thousands of scientific journal titles and books, historical literature, expedition reports, and a herbarium, MBA Members can make full use of the collections and incredible facilities including electronic journal access in-house, the new Southward Reading Room, as well as quiet work space with some of the best views in Plymouth.
- Over 95% off The MBA Journal. Get it online for only £20 or in print for £80.
- Generous discounts off MBA events, courses and conferences
- Discounts on MBA Merchandise at the Citadel Hill shop
- 20% off titles from leading publishers including Cambridge University Press, Wiley-Blackwell and Eurospan group
- 30% off Pelagic Publishing titles
- Being a Member of the MBA is a great way to progress your career as a marine biologist. Students and Young Marine Biologists can apply for bursaries for work at the laboratory, or to support attendance at marine biology events and conferences (up to £200) and all Members have access to a database of marine experts and help with study paths and finding marine biology jobs.
- Members enjoy a 10% discount on all marine courses run by the Field Studies Council - great training opportunities to improve idenitification or survey skills.
- MBA Members also receive primary notifications of job vacancies and internships and have networking opportunities at our varied science events, including our Annual General Meeting.
- MBA Members can get involved with real science, through member-only survey events (including many important citizen science projects), science meetings, and internships & volunteer placements. The MBA will keep you regularly informed of developments in marine biology, and upcoming courses and events through our email, website and social media accounts.
- Professional Members can raise their profile in the field by joining our Expert Database to participate in science communication on behalf of the MBA. There are opportunities to respond to queries, contribute articles to The Marine Biologist, complete book reviews and speak to the media.
- Set yourself apart – Professional Members of the MBA can use the exclusive post-nominal Mem.MBA whilst Fellows of the MBA can use the exclusive post-nominal FMBA.
- Receive a Certificate of Membership to cement your professional standing as a marine biologist.
- Celebrate belonging to a Royal Charter body with an exclusive range of accessories available to our Senior practitioners.