MBA Postgraduate Conferences
The 14th annual MBA Postgraduate Conference will be held
at University of Exeter, Penryn Campus Cornwall ~24-28 April 2017
Enquiries to organising committee: email@example.com
The MBA Post-Graduate Conference: A History
In October 2001, the MBA meetings secretary of the time suggested that the MBA should be engaging the marine biological post-graduate community through the establishment of a postgraduate workshop. At the time there were no scientific meetings in marine biology where postgraduates and post-docs could meet, discuss their work and exchange ideas.
The very first MBA Post-Graduate workshop was therefore held over two days in April 2002 at the MBAs Citadel Hill Laboratory in Plymouth. It was attended by 60-70 students and post-docs from as far afield as Dublin, Belfast and France and the speakers were a mix of MBA fellows, students, postdocs and invited guests (someone from NERC gave a presentation on science-policy).
As a result of the success of the meeting it was agreed that the small profit made (£140) would be used for ‘seedcorn’ for the next workshop and the idea of the Annual MBA Post-Graduate workshop was born. Since then workshops have been held every year except 2003 – see list below.
The conferences are organised by the post-graduates (with some financial support from the Association) and as such have been excellent opportunities for the Marine Biology post-graduate community to gain experience in organising scientific conferences. They have also proved popular with the Marine Biology postgraduate community
For more information please contact the MBA Membership Secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org.
List of previous MBA Post-Graduate Conferences
13) University of Portsmouth, 16-20 May 2016
12) Queen’s University Belfast, Northern Ireland 18-22 May 2015
11) University of Hull Scarborough Campus, UK, 6-10 May 2014.
10) Aberystwyth University, 8-10 May 2013.
9) University College Cork, Ireland, 21-24 May 2012
8) Queenʼs University Belfast, Northern Ireland, 16-19 May 2011
7) University of Glasgow, Scotland, 17-20 May 2010
6) National Oceanography Centre, Southampton, UK, 22-25 June 2009
5) Aberystwyth University, Wales, 31 March-02 April 2008
4) Dublin, Ireland, 3-5 May 2006
3) Newcastle, UK, April 2005
2) Bangor, Wales, 2-4 April 2004
1) MBA Citadel Hill Laboratory, Plymouth, UK, 22-24 April 2002