Fancy getting stuck into something creative over the holidays? Enter the SciArt Competition!
Click to expand flyer
Aquarium – Inspired by… the old (MBA aquarium) and new (National Marine Aquarium, and MBA Seawater Hall).
Micro – Inspired by… anything microscopic found in the marine environment, particularly subjects being researched at the MBA (e.g. algae, fungi, plankton!)
Mega – Inspired by… anything big found in the marine environment, particularly subjects being researched at the MBA (e.g. pelagic sharks, rays).
#UNDecade – Inspired by… the UN Decade of Ocean Science, kicking off in 2021.
Wild card – Inspired by… general marine science in Plymouth and the UK.
How to enter
- Please send entries to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the Subject “SciArt Competition”.
- Entries will be judged remotely, as such we cannot take physical submissions.
- Digital art (photography, illustration etc.) can be attached directly. Please take photographs/scans of physical art (paintings etc.) – up to 3 of each piece.
- We encourage you to include a sentence or two (max 30 words) to accompany your submission – What is it? What inspired it?
- No more than 5 submissions per person
- Remember to let us know which category you are entering your art into!
- We will confirm safe receipt of your submission(s) – however, please be aware that this may be on or after the 4th of January for submissions during the holidays.
The competition is open to Marine Biological Association and Ocean Conservation Trust staff and members ONLY.
You can find out more about MBA membership and join at: https://www.mba.ac.uk/membership
Membership enquires should be directed to: email@example.com
DEADLINE 23:59 on the 18th of January 2021. Submissions received after this time will not be considered.
Winners/runners-up will be announced on 25th of January 2021.
Aquarium – Inspired
- Dan Laffoley – MBA Council Member & Marine Vice Chair of IUCN’s World Commission on Protected Areas. http://danlaffoley.com/ @WCPA_Marine
- Debby Mason – Printmaker for over 25 years, specialising in etchings and mezzotints, inspired by the sea - https://www.debbymason.com/ @Debby_Mason
- Olly Reed – Marketing & Communications Manager at Ocean Conservation Trust and avid underwater photographer
- Georgie Bull – British and Irish Underwater Photography Champion for 2020 and 3rd year Marine Biology and Coastal Ecology undergraduate at Plymouth University - https://www.georgiebull.co.uk/ - @Georgie_Bull_
- Paul Naylor – Author, underwater photographer, and marine biologist. http://www.marinephoto.co.uk/ - @paulnaylormarinephoto
Entries will be judged on the following:
- Technical Execution
Winners will have their SciArt displayed at the National Marine Aquarium and will receive a free ticket to go and visit to see it! Each winner will also receive a bottle of Sea Change wine.
Runners-up will receive a t-shirt of their choice from the MBA Teemill website. One runner-up (selected at random) will also win 1x 1hr Mayflower 400 & Plymouth Harbour Cruise – Family Ticket (including a free soft/hot drink) *Valid during April-Sept 2021 season.