NMBL Logo Photos of LibraryMBA and NERC Logos
  | Home | Staff Only | Contact Us | Search |
Library Blog
Services
Visiting Us
Partnerships
Aims
History
Overview of Collection
Serials/Journals
Library Catalogue
Research Repository
Publications
Archives
Special Collections
Historical Literature
Historical Literature
Historical Literature

History of the MBA and its Library

 

Arrow Old Library Photos

The library was founded in 1887 to support the newly-created Marine Biological Association, with donations of books and periodicals from a variety of individuals and organisations, and via exchange agreements.  The first part of the present library building was constructed in 1930 and was augmented in 1955 and 1975 to house the ever expanding collection. 

1887

Heape, W. (1887) Description of the laboratory of the Marine Biological Association at Plymouth. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 1 (Old Series ) pp. 96-104


1888

The Plymouth Laboratory opened.

Catalogue of the Library Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 2 (Old Series) pp. 254-266


1889 A public appeal for books and periodicals was made in the Directors Report.

1928 Allen, E.J. and Harvey, H.W. (1928) The laboratory of The Marine Biological Association at Plymouth. Journal of the Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom, 15 (3) pp. 735-752

1967 The first qualified librarian was appointed, and shortly after, two further information scientists were appointed to assemble a collection of marine pollution literature on which to base an external pollution information service.  This was done in response to a government request prompted by the Torrey Canyon oil pollution incident off Cornwall.

1984

Southward, A.J. and Roberts, E.K. (1984) The Marine Biological Association 1884-1984: One hundred years of marine research. Report and Transactions of the Devonshire Association for the Advancement of Science vol. 116 p155-199 (Occasional Publications. Marine Biological Association of the United Kingdom 3)


1988  The Laboratories of the MBA and Institute of Marine Environmental Research (IMER) were merged to form the Plymouth Marine Laboratory (PML). The 2 libraries were brought under PML management and there was some movement of publications between sites and rationalisation of holdings

1996 The MBA Library was designated as the National Marine Biological Library (NMBL) in recognition of its role as a very specialised national resource

1999 A decision was made to close the satellite library at the PML West Hoe site

2001 Work to consolidate stock from the PML West Hoe site was completed.

2004 MBA finalised an agreement with NERC to assume management of the NMBL.

 

 


Valid XHTML