Five of the ten species in this year’s Name a species competition from Natural England are marine and include sea slugs and an anemone.
This year Natural England are hoping for even more playful and clever suggestions based on the species’ physical characteristics, behaviour and more.
Dr Keith Hiscock (MBA Associate Fellow) is on the judging panel and will be looking at entries for the five marine species:
• Akera bullata – Squid-like sea slug
• Brissopsis lyrifera – Spiny heart in the mud
• Elysia viridis – Photosynthesising sea-slug
• Peachia cylindrica – Lurker in the sand
• Sacculina carcini – A parasitic barnacle
Follow the links for further information on these species on the MarLIN website.
See the Guardian web site for more information.